Number 1 Shoulder Program for Advanced Training
- Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press– This particular Press is called the Arnold press, it actually works the 3 heads of the Deltoids.
- As per the above animation hold the dumbbells with palms facing towards the chest, then raise up to just before lock out above head in a count of 3 secs, lower back to starting position, slower in a count of 4 secs.
- First set do with a weight that you can do 12 reps, second set increase the weight do 10 reps, third set again increase the weight and do 8 reps and finally last fourth set increase again and do 6 reps, you should be only able to do just 6 or 7 at this point.
- Tips:- Take about 2 or so mins rest between sets to recover ATP energy levels, and then 3 mins before attempting next exercise. By now you should know the breathing, and mind to muscle connection, also make sure that you keep hydrated so have a drink between set or at least after the fourth set.
- Shoulder Shrugs– Hold the dumbbell palms facing each other arms hanging by the sides, then raising only the shoulders bring them up to your ears and slowly down, the tempo reps and so on as per the shoulder press above.
In this one you can increase the weight if you want also you can just pick a weight that you can do at least 8 to 10 reps for 4 sets.
- Lateral Raises– Hold the dumbbells palms facing each other, arms hanging by your side.
- Now lift up, keeping elbows slightly bent till you reach about shoulder level, then slowly down to starting position and repeat for 4 sets of 10 reps, you may increase the weight if you can or just select a weight that you can at least do 8 good under control reps. Temp and so on as above/
- Bent over lateral Raises– In this exercise, the animated pic shows the safe way to work mainly the Anterior Head of the Deltoids, however, keeping the arms straight but slightly bent is harder and works the area in a slightly different way.
- The reps and so on as for the previous exercises.
- Upright Rows – Fairly self explanatory just keep control on all the movements and reps, set temp and so on as for the above exercises.
- Front Deltoid Raises – This exercise mainly puts most of the emphasis on the front or Anterior area of the Deltoid muscles.